Water mains leak detection
Mains supply pipe leak repair
A leak in your water mains supply pipe can be difficult to diagnose and have expensive consequences for your water bill unless fixed quickly.
Water travels through these pipes at high pressure and can cause substantial damage when a hole is created by corrosion, the weather or simple old age.
Discover how we approach water mains leak detection below.
Your mains supply pipe is your responsibility
Many people believe that it’s the job of their water company to fix a faulty mains pipe, but sadly this is unlikely to be the case for the majority of UK properties.
Your external stop valve controls the supply of water to your home from the street and is different to the internal stopcock usually found beneath your kitchen sink.
You are responsible for any leak or issue that occurs between the external valve and your property, whether beneath your garden or the building itself.
Water mains leak detection is the process of finding, fixing and sometimes replacing, the broken underground pipes which transport water from the public network to your home.
Use the contents box to navigate to the part of the page you need or simply call us for free now on 0800 037 7078 to discuss your specific situation with our team, without obligation.
Need extra help? Read our helpful guide: Should I repair or replace my water mains pipe?
- Is your water meter spinning when your stopcock is off? Your water meter will typically be installed on or near the external stop valve of your property. You can quickly determine if your water leak is between the external valve and your internal stopcock by turning off the stopcock and seeing if your meter continues to turn. We recommend leaving the stopcock off for at least an hour or two and monitoring any difference in the meter value. See more on this process below.
- Have you been surprised by usually high water bills? While it’s common for water usage to fluctuate throughout the year, if you’ve received a bill from your water company that doesn’t seem to reflect your actual usage, it may signal a hidden leak requiring immediate attention.
- Are you experiencing low water pressure? A leak in your mains pipe can cause the pressure of the supply to your home to drop, resulting in slower running taps and showers. A noticeable change in water pressure with no wider issue reported by your supplier should be investigated. Water travels through mains supply pipes at high pressure and a leak can quickly release large volumes of water in a short period of time.
- Have you noticed unusual levels of mould, condensation or smell of damp? The escape of water from your mains supply pipe running beneath your home can cause significant areas of damp or mould to develop in your home. We recommend that you urgently investigate the cause of dampness and condensation that you can’t otherwise account for.
- Does your garden show signs of saturation or subsidence? If you live in a house, the journey from the external stop valve to your internal stopcock will likely travel beneath your front garden from the street. A leak in this area can often be spotted by an unusually wet patch of grass or evidence of subsidence in the ground.
Detecting leaks in mains water supply pipes
We offer a fixed price trace and access service following the completion of a free visual inspection of your property. This visual inspection does not involve the use of any specialist detection equipment, but allows us to accurately gauge and price the work required.
Upon instruction to complete trace and access works, we will use one or a variety of the methods to locate your mains supply pipe before providing you with a further option for its repair.
These methods include the use of tracer gas, thermal imaging and endoscopic cameras.
1. Call 0800 037 7078
Our trace and access services are approved by all UK insurance companies. Call us for free today to discuss your situation and book in a free visual inspection by one of our expert technicians.
2. We’ll inspect your leak for free
Upon booking, we will carry out a free visual inspection of your reported water leak to provide you with a structured price for the trace, access and repair. The visual inspection will not find your leak by itself.
3. Get a fixed price to find your leak
We know how frustrating it can be when a price changes throughout a job. The price we quote you for the work will be the price you pay. Plus, we’ll provide you with a detailed report to submit to your insurance company.
The pipe is old and prone to corrosion
Many new-build properties in the UK benefit from modern pipework constructed from materials including ductile iron and PVC. Older pipes are a lot more susceptible to corrosion and a lot less resilient to changing temperatures, which can cause fractures and cracks over time.
High water pressure and ruptured the pipe
Regional water suppliers invest a lot of money in pressure management strategies to help maintain a consistent flow of water to your home. Changing water pressure through your mains pipe can lead to extreme surges causing the pipe to either leak or burst.
If you’re concerned about the water pressure supply to your home, we recommend contacting your water supply company directly before a problem has time to develop.
The pipe has been damaged by excavation work
Construction work at your property can lead to your mains supply pipe being damaged by machinery or equipment. The pipe usually runs around six feet below ground and hitting it can trigger a leak that may require repair or replacement completely.
We repair mains water leaks throughout the UK
Water leaks can happen at any time and can go unnoticed for weeks, months or even years. Miracle Leak Detection offers an unrivalled five-star water mains leak detection service across the UK.
Visit the links below to explore our most visited counties. including Hertfordshire, Surrey and London.
Get your water leak found and fixed fast in all areas of Hertfordshire, from Bishops Stortford and St Albans, to Watford and Ware.
We cover all areas in Surrey and south London, including Guildford, Epsom, Haslemere and more. View all of our Surrey locations below.
The historic county of Cambridgeshire is home to thousands of old and new properties liable to mains leaks. Don’t be caught out when trouble strikes.
The county of Essex stretches from rural Sawbridgeworth to the sea of Southend. We find underground leaks from countryside to coastline.
Nestled between our other areas of service, Bedfordshire is perfectly placed for our team to quickly and efficiently repair your mains water leak.
Testimonials from our mains leak customers
We’re proud of the mains leak detection service that we offer our customers, with five star reviews on Google, Trustpilot and Checkatrade. Read a selection of our reviews below.
Underground mains leak detectionWatford WD3, Sept. 2023
“I can highly recommend Barrie and his company. Visited our property to give a quote and a thorough run down of the work required ensuring that I understood the detail. After booking them in they turned up on time at very short notice and completed the work quickly and professionally - keeping us informed of their progress throughout. They even went above and beyond to improve the plumbing that was not part of the original quote to save digging up the driveway again. They did a great job - highly recommended.”
Flooded garden mains leakHertford SG13, Sept. 2023
“Water had been leaking for some time causing lots of damage to a field and entrance which made it impossible to use. Tractor had managed to get stuck! Called Miracle Leak Detection having seen their van locally and they were available that day due to a job cancellation. They fully explained the detection process and sent a cost breakdown before the work started so no surprises. Found the leak to a stopcock we didn't even know existed. Repairs were completed and reinstatement made as best as they could considering it was a quagmire there. Really efficient and professional. Many thanks guys.”
Internal water mains pipe leakTrustpilot, Aug. 2023
“We had a leak which was extremely difficult to access but Barrie was not going to be beaten. Barrie talked us through what he thought needed to be done and gave us quote which he said would not change. He worked so hard and in a very confined space. It wasn't at all straight forward and took far longer than expected but he was true to his word the price did not change! We don't think many people would have been prepared to do the job he did and we feel very fortunate that we chose Miracle Leak Detection. Would have given many more stars if it were possible.”